The plaque bacteria that collect on teeth processes sugars to create acids that erode tooth enamel, causing decay. Plaque gets sugars from the foods we eat, which is why it is important to brush and floss teeth daily. However, there are some foods which are great for your dental health, strengthening and rebuilding tooth structure.
- Fruits & Veggies: these contain a lot of water (cleans teeth), fiber (balances sugars), vitamin C (strengthens gum health), and vitamin A (rebuilds tooth enamel). But be careful about eating citrus fruits frequently because they contain acids that erode tooth enamel.
- Nuts: these contain a lot of protein which helps to strengthen and protect tooth enamel. You will also chew a lot in order to eat nuts, which stimulates saliva flow that washes away food, brings in substances important for health, and neutralizes harmful acids.
- Dairy: yogurt, milk, and cheese are low in sugar but high in the calcium and protein that rebuild tooth structure.
- Lean Protein: meat, eggs, fish, and poultry are not only high in protein, but phosphorous which also helps to renew and strengthen tooth enamel.
- Water: this is the best type of drink because it washes away food particles and doesn’t have added sugars or acids. Additionally, fluoridated water can strengthen teeth.